Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Joy of Obedience!




Please, LORD, hear my prayer and give me the understanding that comes from your word. Listen to my concerns and keep me safe, just as you have promised.  If you will teach me your laws, I will praise you and sing about your promise, because all of your teachings are what they ought to be.  Be ready to protect me because I have chosen to obey your laws.  I am waiting for you to save me, LORD. Your Law makes me happy. 

Psalm 119: 169 - 174

These verses are from the longest chapter in the Bible.  And if you read all 176 verses you will see that it is all about obeying the law of the Lord!  Over and over again it talks about how wonderful it is to be obedient to everything that God has said!  

Indeed we are not saved by keeping the law but many have missed the joy of obedience because they were warned about legalism!  A legalist might be described as one who trusts in his own obedience to establish the fact that he merits salvation.  

Truthfully, the follower of Jesus, who is not a “legalist” is likely to be even more obedient because he will be ready to obey even the slightest utterance from the Heart of God.  The legalist will want lots of confirmation that the Word he hears is really a command of God!

But when you trust in the Grace of God and the Blood of Jesus for  your salvation you will be like a race horse at the starting gate anxiously waiting for another opportunity to be obedient!  You will run after the Wisdom of God’s Word and thrill at the opportunity to let the Law of God order your life!

“Lord Jesus, show me again today something I can do to be obedient to Your Word.  Let me experience the Joy of letting Your desires rule my life!  And may You, Jesus be praised forever.  Amen.”






No comments:

Post a Comment