Monday, April 17, 2017

Without the Holy Spirit!




My children, I will be with you for a little while longer. Then you will look for me, but you won't find me. I tell you just as I told the people, "You cannot go where I am going."  But I am giving you a new command. You must love each other, just as I have loved you.  If you love each other, everyone will know that you are my disciples.  Simon Peter asked, "Lord, where are you going?" Jesus answered, "You can't go with me now, but later on you will."  Peter asked, "Lord, why can't I go with you now? I would die for you!"   "Would you really die for me?" Jesus asked. "I tell you for certain that before a rooster crows, you will say three times that you don't even know me."

John 13: 33 - 38

Later, Peter did die for Jesus, and tradition says that he was crucified as well.  But in the early morning hours before the crucifixion of Jesus, Peter denied three times, that he even knew the Lord!

How strong are you in your willingness to suffer for Jesus?  Peter thought he was ready to die for Jesus, but he was not ready.  Eventually, Peter was prepared to die for Jesus, and he did. What changed?  

Jesus told His disciples that it would be better for them after He returned to Heaven because He would then send the Holy Spirit to live in them!  If you try to be an obedient and faithful servant of God without the Holy Spirit living in your heart, you will fail!  

When the Holy Spirit came upon the disciples on the Day of Pentecost, everything changed.  Shy followers became bold believers and weak and powerless men and women were filled with the power of God!  


“Lord Jesus, I confess to You that I cannot be what You want me to be without the power that comes from Your Holy Spirit!  Praise Your Holy Name forever.  Amen!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment