Friday, May 26, 2017

The Memory of Cool Water!




As a deer gets thirsty for streams of water, I truly am thirsty for you, my God.  In my heart, I am thirsty for you, the living God. When will I see your face?  Day and night my tears are my only food, as everyone keeps asking, "Where is your God?"   Sorrow floods my heart, when I remember leading the worshipers to your house. I can still hear them shout their joyful praises.

Psalm 42: 1 - 4

I remember a time when a Sunday morning worship service was “electric” with anticipation!  We would come together, not just to hear a sermon or to sing songs of praise and worship, but to hear from God!  Regularly, God would speak to my heart and life while we were gathered together.  The Holy Spirit was moving among those who assembled!  The “order of worship” was regularly interrupted by the testimony of a brother or sister who “felt led” to bring us a short word!  It was the leader’s responsibility to lovingly judge the things that were said as to whether or not they were from God.  

Many of the songs we sang were new, and were even composed by someone in the fellowship!  I even remember one time when there was a line of people waiting to tearfully confess their sins to the congregation.  

“Sorrow floods my heart,” when I remember those days.  It was a time when God showed His face and overwhelmed us with His love!  But then came our “cooling off” to the things of the Spirit, and like the writer of Psalm 42 we have become “thirsty for God!”  It is the memory of drinking cool, refreshing water that makes your thirst even greater!  


“Lord Jesus, we are thirsty for You today.  Overwhelm us with Your love and bring revival to our hearts!  Lead us to a time when the whole world will see Your Glory and praise Your Holy Name!  Hallelujah! Amen.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment