Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Power and Authority!

Click here to listen to blog

When Jesus had finished saying all this to the people who were listening, he entered Capernaum. There a centurion’s servant, whom his master valued highly, was sick and about to die. The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant.  When they came to Jesus, they pleaded earnestly with him, “This man deserves to have you do this, because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue.” So Jesus went with them.

He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof.  That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed.  For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.”  Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well.

Luke 7:1-10

The Centurion was a Roman soldier and not a Jew and yet Jesus said his faith was greater than anyone in Israel!

I believe Jesus identified the Centurion's faith as "great" because he not only believed in the power of Jesus, but also recognized His authority! There is a vast difference in simply "doing a miracle" and having authority over the entire universe and everything in it!
The Egyptian magicians imitated the miracles of Moses, but they did not have the authority to deliver the people from slavery.

Do you simply believe that Jesus has the power to address the issues in your life, or do you believe that He is the Creator of everything that is, was and will be?

The truth of who Jesus is, is far more significant than the truth of what He can do. Many Christians spend their lives grappling with whether or not Jesus has the power to solve their problems and never touch the reality of the Majesty and Glory of the Son of God who came to earth!

Be like the Centurion and recognize the authority of Jesus and not just His power. When you see His great authority then you can even be at peace when Jesus does nothing to resolve the thing that concerns you most.

"Lord Jesus I believe that Your power is greater than any other and that You can do anything You desire. But Lord I also believe that You have Ultimate Authority to command everyone and everything that is in this world or beyond. And may I praise Your Name forever! Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment