Sunday, October 25, 2009

Negotiated Faith!


In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. "He saved others," they said, "but he can't save himself! He's the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him.
Matthew 27:41-42

When a young man asks a young woman to be his bride the answer she gives speaks volumes about the relationship and their potential happiness in the future. The best answer is of course a simple “Oh Yes!” She is pledging herself to him to walk through life together as one. But if her answer is filled with stipulations then you can see storm clouds already on the horizon. When she says “I will marry you if you always _____________ and if you never _____________” the divorce lawyers perk up and see more work coming their way.

If you say to Jesus “I will follow you if you always _____________ and if you never _____________” you can be sure that your love will be tested by your own words. More than thirty years ago I told Jesus I would serve Him anywhere in the United States. I was serious in my devotion to Him, but I just did not want to live on a mission field. As my daily walk with Him progressed it became abundantly apparent to me that there would be no peace for me unless I went as far away from the United States as you can get on this earth.

The irony of these two verses in Matthew 27 is fundamental. The chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked Jesus and told Him that if He would come down from the cross they would then believe. But if Jesus had come down from the cross their belief would have been pointless.

What have you said to Jesus about your own faith? Have you said, “Jesus if you do this then I will believe?” The “this” of your offer can be things like “save my child, heal my wife, get me that job,” etc. etc. But when you make such an offer you come to Jesus as a negotiator not a repentant sinner.

If you have stipulations in your relationship with Jesus then repent of them all. Commit you life to Him without demands. Take Jesus as He is! Love Him as He is and He will love you.

When you say “Oh Yes” to Jesus proposal that you give yourself to Him the future happiness of your life with Jesus is guaranteed!

No comments:

Post a Comment