Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Forgiveness is Not Optional!


21. Peter came up to the Lord and asked, "How many times should I forgive someone who does something wrong to me? Is seven times enough?"

22. Jesus answered: Not just seven times, but seventy-seven times!

23. This story will show you what the kingdom of heaven is like: One day a king decided to call in his officials and ask them to give an account of what they owed him.

24. As he was doing this, one official was brought in who owed him fifty million silver coins.

25. But he didn't have any money to pay what he owed. The king ordered him to be sold, along with his wife and children and all he owned, in order to pay the debt.

26. The official got down on his knees and began begging, "Have pity on me, and I will pay you every cent I owe!"

27. The king felt sorry for him and let him go free. He even told the official that he did not have to pay back the money.

28. As the official was leaving, he happened to meet another official, who owed him a hundred silver coins. So he grabbed the man by the throat. He started choking him and said, "Pay me what you owe!"

29. The man got down on his knees and began begging, "Have pity on me, and I will pay you back."

30. But the first official refused to have pity. Instead, he went and had the other official put in jail until he could pay what he owed.

31. When some other officials found out what had happened, they felt sorry for the man who had been put in jail. Then they told the king what had happened.

32. The king called the first official back in and said, "You're an evil man! When you begged for mercy, I said you did not have to pay back a cent.

33. Don't you think you should show pity to someone else, as I did to you?"

34. The king was so angry that he ordered the official to be tortured until he could pay back everything he owed.

35. That is how my Father in heaven will treat you, if you don't forgive each of my followers with all your heart.

Matthew 18:21-35

Forgiveness is not an optional part of your walk with Jesus!  The fact is that other people will “sin” against you as you live your life.  

Perhaps the ultimate test of whether or not you have been changed into the image of Jesus is your willingness to forgive others! 

When you forgive someone it means that the debt they incurred by their sin is no longer due!  When someone wrongs you in any way, you have an opportunity to be like Jesus and “take up your cross” and follow Him.  Your cross is not just suffering, it is also forgiveness!  Like Jesus, you pay the price for their sin against you!


Look for someone in your life you can forgive today! Then you will experience more and have a deeper understanding of what Jesus did for you.  

“Lord Jesus, may Your Name be praised now and forever.  Amen.” 

A personal note: Since my last post in October I have been hospitalized for open heart surgery and am now recovering at home. I am doing well, but it will still be a while until I can produce the videos to accompany my blogs.   I should be able to continue writing and will post them as often as I am able.  Thank you for your patience.  I pray that God will use it all for His Eternal Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment