Monday, March 21, 2016

Don't Forget the Worm!


Click here to listen to blog 
Jonah was really upset and angry.  So he prayed: Our Lord, I knew from the very beginning that you wouldn’t destroy Nineveh. That’s why I left my own country and headed for Spain. You are a kind and merciful God, and you are very patient. You always show love, and you don’t like to punish anyone, not even foreigners. Now let me die! I’d be better off dead. The Lord replied, “What right do you have to be angry? Jonah then left through the east gate of the city and made a shelter to protect himself from the sun. He sat under the shelter, waiting to see what would happen to Nineveh. The Lord made a vine grow up to shade Jonah’s head and protect him from the sun. Jonah was very happy to have the vine,  but early the next morning the Lord sent a worm to chew on the vine, and the vine dried up.

Jonah 4:1-7


The story of Jonah would not be the same if God had not sent the worm to chew on the vine that had grown up to shade Jonah from the sun.  It is really quite remarkable that God "sent a worm."  I guess that means that God talks to worms and gives them directions about what to do in their lives!

It is also important that God did not send a lion, a tiger, an elephant or even a horse to chew on the vine.  All those animals are strong and impressive and certainly could have destroyed the vine at God's command.  But rather God sent a worm.  So even if you are as small and powerless as a worm, God can use you to accomplish His will on this earth!

Remember, until the end of time and beyond that little worm will be part of the story of Jonah.  The other living creature in the story of Jonah was the Great Fish that swallowed him.  And of course that fish will be remembered as well, but don't forget the worm.

So if you look at yourself and see nothing greater than a worm, do not despair.  Remember the worm in the story of Jonah and listen for the voice of God! 

"Lord Jesus, I am not a worm.  I am a human being created in Your image.  But even if I was just a worm I could hear Your voice and do Your will.  Help me today to listen for Your voice so I can do Your will.  And may You, Lord Jesus be praised forever.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment