Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Greatest Love Story!


When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?" (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)
The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)
Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."
John 4:7-10

Jesus was sitting by Jacob’s well and He was thirsty. Then Jesus asked the Samaritan woman to give Him a drink of water. The part of this story that is so often overlooked is that Jesus asked the woman to give Him something that He really needed. Jesus was thirsty. It is hard for us to imagine that Jesus needed anything.

Did Jesus ever ask you to give Him something? Does Jesus need anything today? He sits at the right hand of the Father. How could Jesus need something? And especially how could Jesus need something that I could give Him? Jesus, the Almighty God, the Everlasting Father, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, the Alpha and the Omega needs something from me? What could I, the created give to the Creator that He needs?

Jesus said it plainly in Matthew 22:37 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' He said this was the greatest commandment. There is the secret of what He is asking. Love cannot be commanded. I cannot command my children to love me. God’s command brought worlds into existence, parted the waters of the Red Sea, raised the dead and healed the sick, but even God cannot command my love. It is not because God is powerless. It is because of what love is that it cannot be commanded. Love is always freely given. Love cannot be stolen. Stolen love is like a snow flake in your warm hand. It ceases to be.

The only thing that I have that Jesus needs is my heart! Why does Jesus need my heart? I don’t know. I can’t even answer that question when it comes to my wife and children. Why do I need their love? I don’t know, but I know that their love for me is more important than anything else in this life. With their love I have everything. Without it I have nothing.

So very humbly I would suggest that loving Jesus is what He needs from me and from you. If I were to obey every command and live a life that is as perfect as a human being could live, but did not love Him I would not satisfy what Jesus needs from me. Conversely, if I truly love Jesus then He will lead me, guide me, convict me and call me back to Him as often as it is necessary to insure that this love we share will last forever! It is the greatest Love Story ever told!

No comments:

Post a Comment