Friday, May 6, 2011

Fear or Anger?

“The nations were angry,
but Your wrath has come.
The time has come
for the dead to be judged
and to give the reward
to Your servants the prophets,
to the saints, and to those who fear Your name,
both small and great,
and the time has come to destroy
those who destroy the earth.”

Revelation 11:18

When you are angry at God you do not fear Him. Most of my life I have heard explanations of why the fear of God is simply respect and not what we normally think of as fear. I can concede that point however when I consider the "om-everything*" of who God is regular old fear comes right back into my heart.

The fear of God is a little like the fear of high places. I do not enjoy standing on the edge of deep canyon and looking down. There is no threat to me or anyone else by the height, but the awesomeness of the situation is worthy of fear.

God does not threaten me, but if I even begin to approach the reality of who He is and what He has done and can do I must begin to tremble!

I say to the lost world: "Go ahead and be angry at God. I will fear His name!"


* omnipotence, omnipresence, omniscience etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment