Thursday, September 25, 2014

You Are The Temple!

Click here to listen to blog

The Lord All-Powerful had said to them and to the people:

You say this isn't the right time to build a temple for me. But is it right for you to live in expensive houses, while my temple is a pile of ruins? Just look at what's happening. You harvest less than you plant, you never have enough to eat or drink, your clothes don't keep you warm, and your wages are stored in bags full of holes.

Think about what I have said!  But first, go to the hills and get wood for my temple, so I can take pride in it and be worshiped there.  You expected much, but received only a little. And when you brought it home, I made that little disappear. Why have I done this? It's because you hurry off to build your own houses, while my temple is still in ruins. That's also why the dew doesn't fall and your harvest fails. And so, at my command everything will become barren—your farmland and pastures, your vineyards and olive trees, your animals and you yourselves. All your hard work will be for nothing.

Haggai 1:2-11

I suppose if I were wanting to encourage someone to build an expensive church building I would refer to these verses in the Book of Haggai. But these words are about rebuilding the Temple not a church building.


Today the "Temple" is the body in which you live if you are a follower of Jesus. The Bible clearly says that my body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. The earliest "church building" may have been some 200 years after Jesus died.


Church buildings are simply places that Christians gather to worship the Lord, but they are not a temple. As the Temple of the Holy Spirit you have the opportunity to honor and worship God all day, every day. In fact, the Holy Spirit dwells in you! So even as the Lord was Glorified by the Temple in Jerusalem, He is given Glory today by the life that you live because the Holy Spirit is in you!


There is no verse in the New Testament that encourages Christians to build Church buildings. But every verse is focused on how you live as the Temple of the Holy Spirit!


"Lord Jesus, help me today to be a life where the Holy Spirit is comfortable. May every word, thought and action I take be consistent with Your will for this day. And may You be praised forever! Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment