Tuesday, March 31, 2015

You Will Understand Later!

Click here to listen to blog

Jesus knew he had come from God and would go back to God. He also knew that the Father had given him complete power.  So during the meal Jesus got up, removed his outer garment, and wrapped a towel around his waist.  He put some water into a large bowl. Then he began washing his disciples' feet and drying them with the towel he was wearing.  But when he came to Simon Peter, this disciple asked, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”  Jesus answered, “You don't really know what I am doing, but later you will understand.”

John 13:3-7

As you walk in the steps of Jesus through this life, there are many things that you don't understand.  You may see where the steps of Jesus are leading you, but you do not know why.  You may be clearly convicted as to what you should say to someone you meet on the road of life, but you have no idea what God's purpose is for those words. 

Christians are like men on a chess board and God is playing the game.  He may move me from where I am now to another square, but His reason for the move remains hidden in His mind until He is ready to reveal it.  I believe God has a purpose for every encounter in my life.  When I stand next to someone, even for a brief moment, I know that God knows something I may do or say that will glorify Him and draw others to His throne! 

The reason I may miss many of those "God appointed moments" is that I am expecting to understand now rather than later!  When Jesus washed the feet of Peter, the disciple did not understand what the Lord was doing, but later he came to know the full meaning of  that humble moment of service.  Peter must have pondered it often over the years to come! 

If you are truly a follower of Jesus Christ and are hearing His voice, there will be many times when you hear what He says, but you will not understand why He speaks those words.  Remember the Words Jesus spoke to Peter on the night He washed the disciples feet.  Jesus said, "You don't really know what I am doing, but later you will understand."

"Lord Jesus, gives me the ears to hear Your voice and the courage to follow You even when I don't know where You are going!  May You, Lord Jesus be praised forever.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment