Wednesday, March 25, 2009

An Angry God!
From the temple I heard a voice shout to the seven angels, “Go and empty the seven bowls of God's anger on the earth.”

Revelation 16:1

The Bible tells those who would follow Jesus not to sin when they are angry. I think the exact wording is “Be angry and sin not!” That is because when you are angry it is very easy to step over the line into sin. When someone calls a customer service representative because they believe they have been “ripped off” by the company they are usually angry. It is rare, but it happens that someone calls clear minded, logical, and in control of the facts and themselves while expressing the fact that they are angry.

The Bible does not tell us to avoid anger. It tells us not to sin when we are angry. Many believers, especially in our “peace at any cost” world have come to believe that anger itself is sin. It is not. There are many things about which it is perfectly acceptable to be angry. Make your own list and pray about how God would have you respond.

Revelation 16:1 talks about God pouring out bowls of his anger on the earth! Anger is not one of the frequently contemplated characteristics of God. God’s wisdom is unimaginable, His love cannot be matched, and His power is complete in every way and His anger is frightening “to the max.”

When God is angry He is never tempted to sin. When God is angry He is always totally in control and is simply expressing His justice as his “bowls of anger” are poured out on the earth.

So, do I need to fear God’s anger since I am His child?

When I was a boy I feared my father. I feared him because when he was displeased with me I suffered great pain. I even remember suffering physical pain, on the backside of my body because he was displeased with me. I did not fear that he would harm me.

As a follower of Jesus, I fear God! I fear Him because His displeasure with me will cause me great pain. Can God be angry with me as His child? The answer is of course “YES!”

God will correct His children by whatever means is necessary. A loving God who is angry at His child will involve Himself in the correction process.

But when God pours out bowls of His anger on the earth the purpose is not the same. When God’s wrath is felt by men, they are doomed. No one will be able to stand.

If you don’t believe that God is now angry with the world, then look at His written Word and His standards and compare them with the way men and women are living. We are like a wooden shack in a storm inviting a tornado to come and test its strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment