Saturday, March 28, 2009

Why Can’t I Go Now!
Simon Peter asked, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered, “You can't go with me now, but later on you will.” Peter asked, “Lord, why can't I go with you now? I would die for you!” “Would you really die for me?” Jesus asked. “I tell you for certain that before a cock crows, you will say three times that you don't even know me.”

John 13:36-38

Children are good at asking questions. An early favorite is the one word “Why?” Why can’t I stay, why can’t I go, why can’t I do this or that? The list is almost infinite. Most parents have ultimately resorted to the “because I said so” answer. Children sometimes wear us out with questions.

“Why can’t I go with you now?” Simon Peter spoke those words with great sincerity. Peter believed that he was willing to die for Jesus. Of course before the sun came up the next morning Peter had denied that he even knew Jesus three times.

What if Peter had died with Jesus that day? How would things be different today and what would have not happened because of his premature martyrdom? The list would be long. Someone else would have preached the recorded message on the day of Pentecost. Many people would not have been healed unless God used someone else to be the instrument of His healing. The legacy of Peter’s long walk with Jesus would have been cut short leaving a huge gap in Christian history.

For Peter dying with Jesus instead of denying Him would have been a far easier path to walk.

Please don’t misunderstand what I’m about to say. But becoming a martyr can happen in a few seconds with one right choice that forever puts your name in the list of those who gave their lives for Jesus. Living for fifty years as an adult believer in Jesus is the result of thousands of right choices in spite of a daily battle by Satan to win you back from the Lord.

If God has in mind that you become a martyr, then pray that His Spirit will give you strength to make that right choice when the time comes. But, if you want to be a martyr in your own mind when Jesus wants you to remain here and follow Him through dozens of years, thousands of days and thousands and thousands of hours of choices then you are taking the easy path.

God’s timing for your life is perfect. He will orchestrate and order the events to fulfill His plan for you. He does the same for the whole world and He will do it for your life.

If you live your life for Jesus every day and every hour of every day, then when the time is right you will be prepared to give your life for Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment