Saturday, March 14, 2009


Fight Against God!
“But if God is behind it, you cannot stop it anyway, unless you want to fight against God.”

Acts 5:39

Back before the days of internet journalism there was an old saying which was applicable in numerous arenas of life. It was “Don’t pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel.” The written word has always been a mighty weapon in this world. If you can win the war of words you can topple a much stronger enemy without firing a shot.

This is true on a global scale. This war of words is fought in the publishing of material printed on paper, but it is fought even more effectively through the electronic media and the internet. The last U.S. presidential campaign was won by the candidate who had the best grasp of using the electronic media and the internet. With these tools of war the minds of men can be changed for good or evil.

The war of words is also fought on a personal scale. The words that go into your ears and come out of your mouth play a major role in who you are. If you listen to words that are lovely, pleasant, uplifting and helpful and if you speak the same you will be transformed into a man or woman of grace. But if you listen to and speak words that are discouraging, hurtful, negative and destructive you will become a man or woman known for being like your words.

Spiritually, the war of words concept is simply overwhelming. The Bible says that the Word became flesh and lived among us. Jesus not only spoke words, He was and is the Word. This is the real war of words. Even as our humanly written and spoken words have power, the Word of God is powerful beyond anyone’s imagination. The world itself came to be when God spoke the Word. All of the acts of creation are described as simply the result of God speaking the command.

I have been guilty at times of thinking that some people put too much importance on the Bible which is the written Word of God. But when I ponder what the “Word of God” is and what it has done, is doing and will do cosmically and in the lives of all men I stand amazed, or rather I bow down in amazement.

Some old sayings are good and some are quite wrong. Remember the one that says, “Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.” Oh how wrong that is. Truthfully, “Sticks and stones can only break my bones, but words can destroy me both here in this life and eternally.”

So the lesson for me today is simply this: “Don’t fight against God.” When I do I always lose.

But when God fights for me I always win!

No comments:

Post a Comment