Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I Know God!

The days of punishment are coming;
       the days of reckoning are at hand.
       Let Israel know this.
       Because your sins are so many
       and your hostility so great,
       the prophet is considered a fool,
       the inspired man a maniac.

Hosea 9:7

Last night I came home from work and Linda was watching American Idol. I am particularly not fond of the show because I find the abuse and derision very hard to hear. A young man was singing when I came in the room and I was frankly impressed with his considerable ability. The song ended and the abuse began. One “judge” after another worked hard to articulate why he had missed the mark! After the final abuse by Simon the young man asked the judges, “What do you want me to sing next week?” Simon answered with almost a snarl, “I don’t know if you will be here next week.” The young man raised his right hand and declared “I know God!” Then he told the panel that they should hear him sing in Church! He looked right at Simon and asked if he would go to Church with him. Simon appeared shocked but answered, “I’ll go to Church with you.”

The parallel is not perfect but every believer stands before the judges of the world and sings the song that God has put in his heart! When he does that the world will always say “You may be pretty good, but you have missed the mark!” The world will tell you to sing a different song and to sing it in a way that will glorify yourself not God!

When I was regularly on the radio I always told myself that there was only one listener. It really helped me approach the job without fear and it helped me focus on talking to one person and not a large crowd. Of course the total audience might make up a large crowd, but I only saw one person in my mind. As a follower of Jesus the entire world is watching and listening to everything I say and do. The world is also passing harsh judgment. But I only have one judge, and that judge is Jesus Christ. So when all those around me begin to pour on the abuse like Simon on American Idol, I must raise my hand toward heaven and declare without shame, I KNOW GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment