Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pleasure in Heaven!

His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse,
       nor his delight in the legs of a man;

the LORD delights in those who fear him,
       who put their hope in his unfailing love.

Psalm 147:10-11

Hedonism is defined as “devotion, especially a self-indulgent one, to pleasure and happiness as a way of life.” The word “devotion” is particularly interesting because it seems to identify hedonism as a religion rather than just a way of thinking. A man without a god would by definition be a hedonist. Being self-indulgent is what we do unless we are externally motivated to do otherwise.

When God created man in His own image He gave us the ability to experience pleasure. God Himself is fully capable of experiencing pleasure. Imagine the most pleasurable experience you have ever had and multiply it by infinity and you will begin to approach the pleasure of God!

Humans, as a part of their rebellion to God seek pleasure in things and ways that are sinful. Satan’s deceitful message to mankind is that when you turn away from sin you also turn away from pleasure. He would have you believe that pleasure can only be had as you walk in sin. It is not so. In fact, the “pleasure of sin for a season” identifies the fact that pleasure while sinning is temporary at best, then comes the awful aftermath, the hangover for eternity.

I want to please my wife. My own imperfection means that my success in that effort has its ups and downs. But that remains an important goal in my life.

I want to please God. I want my life to give God pleasure and I want Him to delight in me. The only way for me to bring pleasure to God is to fear Him and put my hope in His unfailing love! When I do that God Himself is DELIGHTED and because of me there is PLEASURE IN HEAVEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment