Monday, April 12, 2010

Give Us the Glory!

I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.”

John 17:22-24

Of all the puzzling statements in the Bible these verses must rank fairly high on the list. Jesus tells God that He has given us “the glory that you gave me.” We give God Glory and we give Glory to Jesus, but what could this mean that Jesus gives us the Glory that God gave Him?

What Glory did God give to Jesus? Jesus was given Glory because He was a man and He was God. He was God incarnate. Jesus was flesh and blood and Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit of God and He Himself was God. It was a never before seen mix of man and God. He was both the Son of Man and the Son of God.

It makes me nervous to even attempt a description of the nature of Jesus, because I know my understanding is incomplete at best. But God gives us Glory when He forms us into the image of Jesus. As you become like Jesus, you reflect the Glory of God and you reveal the Glory that He has given you.

The struggle that will go on in you will mirror the struggle Jesus had with Satan. You will be tempted in the worst ways, but each time there will be provided a way of escape. Even though the power of God will be seen working through you, persecution and suffering will stalk your every moment. As you approach your “It is finished” valley you will ask God if there is another way even as Jesus did.

It is not an easy road to walk with Jesus, but it is even harder to walk in His steps. In an almost incomprehensible way Jesus came as a proto-type for your life. What He was is what I am to be. What He did is what I am to do. The road He walked is the path for my life. Then and only then does the Glory make any sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment