Saturday, May 25, 2019

Full-time Fellowship With Jesus!




Click here to listen to blog

As Jesus was walking along the shore of Lake Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew. They were fishermen and were casting their nets into the lake.  Jesus said to them, "Come with me! I will teach you how to bring in people instead of fish."  Right then the two brothers dropped their nets and went with him.  Jesus walked on and soon saw James and John, the sons of Zebedee. They were in a boat, mending their nets.  At once Jesus asked them to come with him. They left their father in the boat with the hired workers and went with him.

Mark 1:16-20

When you decide to follow Jesus there will always be something or someone you will leave behind.  James and John left their father Zebedee in the boat with hired workers and what must have been the family fishing business.

There certainly was more to the stories of these men who left everything to follow Jesus.  Perhaps in Heaven we can listen to them fill in the blanks of what the Bible doesn't say about it.  But it does say that they left their father, Zebedee and the business to follow Jesus.

If you are a follower of Jesus, what have you left behind in order to follow Him?  Everyone leaves something behind when they choose Jesus.

What you leave is what you would be doing with the time you now spend with Jesus as His disciple.  If you spend very little time in fellowship with Jesus, then perhaps you have left little to follow Him.  If you spend much time in the loving embrace of the Son of God, then you have left much to be with Him.

The reality of your relationship with Jesus can be judged by what you don't do in order to be with Him.  

Before my wife and I were married my mother complained that I spent so very much time with my soon to be bride. I was in the process of leaving my mother and father and being joined to my wife for the next 50 plus years, and I was overjoyed at the prospect of a life with her!

When you decide to follow Jesus Christ, you will leave many things behind!  You will leave the world and it's promise of prosperity and earthly peace.  You will leave "success" in exchange for doing the will of Jesus no matter how the results of that effort might be judged.

Look at what you left behind to be with Jesus.  Joyfully consider what else you might walk away from in order to spend more time with Him!  Remember, that Heaven will be Full-time Fellowship with Jesus!

"Lord Jesus, show me something today that I can abandon so I can spend that time with You.  And may Your Holy and Righteous Name be Praised now and forever, Amen!"

  




No comments:

Post a Comment