Friday, April 17, 2009

The Carpenter’s Hammer!

The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.

1 Proverbs 21:31

As a follower of Jesus Christ, my human effort does not determine the outcome of anything. The power of God has veto power over anything I may do, say or even think. How utterly arrogant of me to believe that I can succeed in standing against God’s will in the world around me. I am indeed a leaf blowing in the storm of God’s purpose in the world. I am a snowflake in a blizzard. I am a spark in a forest fire. For me to oppose God is like a raindrop protesting against the flood.

That being said, what is my role in the execution of God’s will in the world? As human beings we desire to make a difference in the world, to be remembered when we leave this earth, to count for something while we are here. We strive to join the list of those who are important to someone for something. I suppose I secretly would like God to turn over to me part of what He wants to accomplish in the world and let me put my hand to it and then take at least some of the credit for it when it is finished. But that is not the way God works! I don’t work for Him, rather He works through me. I serve Him best when I become an empty vessel willing to hold whatever He wants me to hold. I am a tool in His toolbox. I am not God’s handyman.

If you remember the Bill Cosbey television show. Dr. Huckstable would never call for a repairman. He always wanted to do it himself. God is like that. God does His own repair work. When the world needs to be fixed, or reshaped, or disciplined it is God who will do the work. My job is to be clean and standing by at the ready in His tool box so that He may use me as He decides for His eternal purpose.

A hammer on the loose without a carpenter in control will never build a house!

No comments:

Post a Comment