Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Don’t Wait for a Dream!

"So give Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people to discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?"
1 Kings 3:9 (NASB)

When Solomon asked for wisdom instead of riches, it was while he was asleep. Go back and read it for yourself. God appeared to Solomon in a dream and Solomon’s response, that so pleased the Lord, was while he was asleep. I have always felt that I am not responsible for my actions in dreams. I mean, come on, it is not really happening. So how can I be held accountable for my actions in a dream? If I were to dream about doing something illegal no policeman is going to show up at my door the next morning to arrest me.

The sobering truth found in 1 Kings 3 is that God can communicate with us in dreams and we can communicate with Him in dreams. When that happens God takes the communication very seriously and can reward us for our response to Him.

Look at what Solomon asked God to give him during the dream. Solomon asked for wisdom, but specifically to be able to discern between good and evil. What a remarkably simple request, but at the same time it is profound. When I was a child I remember that it was important for me to learn the difference between good and evil. In fact, knowing the difference between right and wrong was the fundamental mark of an adult. In the movies the “good guy” always prevailed no matter how difficult the struggle. It was generally recognized that everyone wanted to be good and that it was only the rare exception when a person desired to do evil.

If tonight while you sleep, the Lord appears to you and asks you what you desire, how would you answer that question? How far down on your list would be the ability to discern between good and evil?

Don’t wait for a dream.

“Lord You are the source of every good and perfect gift. I ask You now to give me the gift of being able to see the difference between good and evil. Today help me to look at every situation and clearly know whether or not it is “right” or “wrong.” Help me know the difference between right and wrong that I may be able to go through this day without a word, a thought, or an action that offends You!”

No comments:

Post a Comment