Saturday, April 4, 2009

Does Not Apply!

If you are a wife, you must put your husband first. Even if he opposes our message, you will win him over by what you do. No one else will have to say anything to him, because he will see how you honor God and live a pure life.

1 Peter 3:1-2

As a husband and a man who years ago committed his life to following Jesus these two verses can be safely filed in the “does not apply to me” drawer!

Wives, with unbelieving husbands are the target of this part of the Word with an ancillary application for their husbands. But for me, what could this passage say? I am neither a wife nor an unbeliever.

However these verses do speak powerfully about how I am influenced by my wife. As a man I like to think of myself as “in control” and “in charge” of everything in my life. It’s the legendary male ego that makes me think I am stronger than I am and gives me the appearance of being arrogant. I think it is the rare man who has not looked at a President of the United States and said to himself, “I could handle that job better!” Regardless of how strong I think I am, or even how strong I am, my female counterpart in this life has great power over my thoughts and actions. She can promote change in me without me ever knowing it.

This scripture must be at least part of the source of the “Behind every great man there is a great woman” saying.

So I guess I might as well drop the pretence and speak plainly. Whenever my wife lives before me an example of anything I am strongly influenced to join her in her lifestyle. But, whenever she simply preaches about how I need to change I “fall asleep in church” again!

It all started in the Garden of Eden. Adam incorporated his wife’s diet into his life and none of us have ever been the same.

Unbelieving men can be won to Jesus by watching their believing wives live as faithful followers of Jesus, but I can be spurred on to a closer walk with the Lord by watching my wife.

So what I need to do is to encourage her in every way to walk and grow in the Lord. I need to provide her with resource and opportunity to live out her faith before me. When I do that I will blossom as well.

Every Word that God speaks applies to me. And every Word of God applies to you. My job is to listen and be changed by the articulated thoughts of the Creator! When you find a verse that “does not apply” to you, look deeper and you will find a great treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment