Monday, February 20, 2012

The Sin of Jonah!

Listen to this blog.


We worship you, Lord, and we should always pray
whenever we find out
that we have sinned.  Then we won’t be swept away
by a raging flood.

You are my hiding place! You protect me from trouble,
and you put songs in my heart
because you have saved me.

You said to me, “I will point out the road
that you should follow.
I will be your teacher
and watch over you.

Psalm 32:6-8

Sin is not just something you do. We think of sin as lying, stealing, cheating, murdering, and any one of many other acts of evil. But it is also a sin when we refuse to listen to God's direction and walk another way.

Jonah was directed by God to go to Nineveh and preach. Instead Jonah sinned as he ran away from God's leading. The conviction of his need to repent came as he sat in the belly of a large fish!

As you become like Jesus Christ and walk in His steps, you of course must avoid every sin. But when you have mastered all the negatives and you don't lie, steal, cheat or murder you still have the sin of Jonah to avoid. When God tells you to go one way and you run as fast as you can in another direction. Jonah was not running to a wicked city so he could freely sin. Jonah was simply running away from God's clear call on his life because he was afraid!

"But I haven't heard God telling me which way to go today." 

Have you listened?

Lord, speak to me again and may Your words ring in my ears so that I cannot ignore the way You want me to walk.  Help me Lord take every step of this day according to Your will for my life.  And thank You Lord for the warning of Jonah and the Great Fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment