Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Gold Medals Wear Out!

Click here to listen to blog

You know that many runners enter a race, and only one of them wins the prize. So run to win!   Athletes work hard to win a crown that cannot last, but we do it for a crown that will last forever.  I don't run without a goal. And I don't box by beating my fists in the air.  I keep my body under control and make it my slave, so I won't lose out after telling the good news to others.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

A few years ago a friend of mine founded an organization to honor aging Gold Medal Olympic athletes.  He could tell you the story much better than I can, but as they aged, these once "heroes and champions" had only the faded glory of the prize and were known to just a few! 

After they won the "prize" many of them even had their pictures on boxes of breakfast cereal. The honor was amazing, but as the days turned into years and the years into decades the aging athletes were only remembered by other older people.  My friend's organization focused on the noble cause of bringing back some respect for these heroes of yesterday!

Like an Olympic athlete, those who follow Jesus work hard to "win the prize."  Empowered by the Holy Spirit and motivated by our love for Jesus Christ we lift the weights of this life and run the race we find before us each day!  Unlike the Olympic Games we don't win because we are the fastest, but rather because we are the faithful.  Being better than others is not the goal.  Being exactly what Jesus wants us to be is the goal!  And when we do that every day the prize is ours forever!

So as you begin this day of your life, remember that you are indeed a "world class" follower of Jesus.  He will show you what to do and where to walk, this day.  And He will give you the power to do it!

"Lord Jesus, I thank You that the glory that comes from being Your follower will not fade as I get older, but will last and last, forever.  And as I fall at Your feet, I give whatever crown I have received to You for You deserve all the praise and glory, forever!  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment