Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Summoned by God!

I make known the end from the beginning,

from ancient times, what is still to come.

I say: My purpose will stand,

and I will do all that I please.

From the east I summon a bird of prey;

from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose.

What I have said, that will I bring about;

what I have planned, that will I do.

Isaiah 46:10-11

Have you been summoned by God? A summons is much more potent than simply a request or even a call. When you are summoned to court you have no choice but to come or to suffer the consequences. It is not an optional appeal.

According to these verses God summons men to fulfill His purposes in the world. God is the one who is working. Men are simply tools in His carpenter’s bag.

In the annals of Christian history there is a line of men and women who quit obviously were used by God to fulfill His purposes for that time and place. They are now remembered for the great strides forward that occurred as they walked in faith. You know the names but what you don’t know is how they themselves perceived their own relationship with God and their usefulness to His kingdom. In a sense these men and women were like mountain climbers who are remembered for “conquering” Mt. Everest. No mountain climber sees himself as great and powerful. Climbers cling to the mountain and move to the heights very slowly. Mountain climbers are humbled by the greatness of the mountain.

I dare say that if you were able to speak today with any “great saint” who has already finished the course you would hear him or her speak of the Majesty of God and Jesus Christ and completely ignore their own accomplishments.

For me the challenge is to cling to the Mountain of God and go to the heights as He gives me the strength. I must not seek accomplishments or to fulfill my purpose in life. I listen for the summons of God and walk in that purpose whether it is glorious or the most mundane of activities!

It is not my job to look for God’s purposes and then volunteer to work on their fulfillment. My task is to know His voice and answer Him when He calls. The job may be glorious or ghastly, but if it is His summons and His purpose then I am doing the thing for which He created me!

No comments:

Post a Comment