Saturday, March 23, 2019

Is Jesus in Your Boat Today?




CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO BLOG

When Jesus had finished speaking, he told Simon, "Row the boat out into the deep water and let your nets down to catch some fish."  "Master," Simon answered, "we have worked hard all night long and have not caught a thing. But if you tell me to, I will let the nets down."  They did it and caught so many fish that their nets began ripping apart.  Then they signaled for their partners in the other boat to come and help them. The men came, and together they filled the two boats so full that they both began to sink.  When Simon Peter saw this happen, he knelt down in front of Jesus and said, "Lord, don't come near me! I am a sinner."

Luke 5:4-8

Peter knew what he was doing when it came to fishing.  Peter was sure that fishing where Jesus told him to would be useless!  I am sure that the catch of fish on that day was the most impressive Peter and the others had ever seen.

But catching fish was not the point of being a disciple of Jesus.  The point was "Catching Men!"

The Bible does not say, but I wonder if the number of fish caught on that day was the same as the number of men and women who came to Jesus when Peter preached on the Day of Pentecost. 

Needless to say, Peter saw the Power of God working through Jesus Christ.  When Peter saw who Jesus was, he was immediately convicted of the fact that Peter himself was a sinner.  

If you say that you are a follower of Jesus Christ and yet you have never been made fully aware of how very sinful you are, I would suggest that Jesus may not have been in your boat!  When Jesus is in your boat you see two things clearly.  First you see the power of God working all around you, doing things that cannot be done without Him.  Secondly, you see that you are a sinner, and in desperate need of a Savior!

"Lord Jesus, come into my boat today, so that I can see Your mighty power, and so that I can know how very much I need You because of my sin.  May Your Holy and Righteous Name be praised now and forever.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment