Friday, January 29, 2010

Heaven’s Green Stamps!

We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

Romans 8:22-23

When I was a child we took turns saving S&H Green Stamps! Green Stamps were given out by local stores and pasted in a book which could be redeemed at the local Green Stamp redemption center. The process was simple. You found a favorite item in their catalog and then saved enough stamps to fill a collector’s book. The catalog told you how many “books” of green stamps you needed to trade at the redemption store for your prize. I was not very patient so I always went for the items that required only one book of stamps! I do remember redeeming one book of stamps for a King James Bible.

Romans 8:23 speaks of the redemption of our bodies. My body, like a book of green stamps has almost no value. My body came from dust and to dust it will return. But when Jesus returns my body will be exchanged for a new one. It will be changed from a body of death to an eternal body that will never die!

I still remember flipping through my almost full book of green stamps while dreaming about the prize that was soon to come! Just a few more days and I would have enough stamps to go to the redemption store and exchange the stamps for the thing I have dreamed about for so long!

Today I do almost exactly the same thing as I “flip through my almost full book of life” and dream about the prize that is soon to come. Just a few more days and I will have enough to go to Heaven’s redemption store and exchange my life here for the thing I have dreamed about for so long!

You could not buy Green Stamps and you cannot buy Heavenly redemption. It is the gift of God, but only for those who come to Him by faith in Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment