Saturday, July 13, 2013

Look for the Baby!

Click here to listen to blog
At this time a man named Simeon was living in Jerusalem. Simeon was a good man. He loved God and was waiting for him to save the people of Israel. God's Spirit came to him and told him that he would not die until he had seen Christ the Lord.
When Mary and Joseph brought Jesus to the temple to do what the Law of Moses says should be done for a new baby, the Spirit told Simeon to go into the temple.  Simeon took the baby Jesus in his arms and praised God,
“Lord, I am your servant,
and now I can die in peace,
because you have kept
your promise to me.
With my own eyes I have seen
what you have done
to save your people,
and foreign nations
will also see this.
Your mighty power is a light
for all nations,
and it will bring honor
to your people Israel.”

Luke 2:25-32

Some traditions of Christianity have made much of Simeon and the speculations of who he was are many, but the Bible tells us very little. It only says Simeon was a good man and he loved God and that God's Spirit had come to him and told him that he would see Jesus before he died.

One difference between God and an idol is that God not only listens to our concerns, but God also speaks to us! Idols never speak to us!

Simeon was not living in a time when miracles were common. The Old Testament prophets were long dead but Simeon was visited by the Spirit of God.

Do you think this was the only time Simeon heard from God or was his life a continual conversation with God about many things? We don't know for sure, but we do know that today we can walk with God, talk to God, and listen to Him as He tells us many things!

"Jesus, forgive me for pretending that You have nothing to say to me! Like You did with Simeon let me hear You tell me about the future and may I hear Your directions about where I should go today and what I should do! I don't want to miss seeing the Baby Jesus at the temple! Amen!"















No comments:

Post a Comment