Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Part Time Christian

Click here to listen to blog.

I praise you, God!

Don't keep silent.

Destructive and deceitful lies

are told about me,

and hateful things are said

for no reason.

I had pity and prayed

for my enemies,

but their words to me

were harsh and cruel.

For being friendly and kind,

they paid me back

with meanness and hatred.

My enemies said,

“Find some worthless fools

to accuse him of a crime.

Try him and find him guilty!

Consider his prayers a lie.

Cut his life short

and let someone else

have his job.

Psalm 109:1-8

If you expect to "win the world" for Jesus by being nice to them and having pity on them you will certainly be disappointed. The life changing power of Jesus Christ is not just proclaimed by "nice" people. I once heard a man talk about the new gospel that we have created. It is the "Gospel of Nice." It proclaims that if a man is "nice" then he must be telling the truth.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is not "nice!" It is convicting your of sin. When you truly hear the Gospel you quickly come to know how lost you are. The mirror of God's Word displays your sins and imperfections and makes you disturbingly aware of how inadequate your own power is to deal with your problems. Hearing the Gospel of Christ is the most upsetting thing a man or woman can ever hear. You come to believe that unless you turn your whole heart to Jesus you will be lost in Hell forever! That is not a pleasant realization!

The Good News of Jesus Christ is overwhelming. Jesus calls no one to be a part time Christian. Jesus is only looking for 24-7 disciples! He wants you to follow Him every hour of every day. Jesus does not want to slightly modify your life. Jesus wants to radically change your every thought, motive and action. Jesus wants you to be a "fanatic follower."

Some Christians are like a man who wants to be a sky diver, but refuses to jump out of the plane. He may know all about sky diving, but until he casts himself out of the safety of the plane he can never call himself a "Sky Diver." Are you clinging to the plane and refusing to trust God and let go of the things of this world and trust Jesus?

"Lord Jesus, show me today how I am holding on to this world and not trusting You. I want to be a 24-7 radical believer. Lord, show me how today. And may You be praised forever. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment