Friday, April 13, 2018

Feed Your Brother!



Click here to listen to blog

Simon Peter got back into the boat and dragged the net to shore. In it were one hundred fifty-three large fish, but still the net did not rip.  Jesus said, "Come and eat!" But none of the disciples dared ask who he was. They knew he was the Lord.  Jesus took the bread in his hands and gave some of it to his disciples. He did the same with the fish.  This was the third time that Jesus appeared to his disciples after he was raised from death.  When Jesus and his disciples had finished eating, he asked, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than the others do?" Simon Peter answered, "Yes, Lord, you know I do!" "Then feed my lambs," Jesus said.  Jesus asked a second time, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter answered, "Yes, Lord, you know I love you!" "Then take care of my sheep," Jesus told him.  Jesus asked a third time, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus had asked him three times if he loved him. So he told Jesus, "Lord, you know everything. You know I love you." Jesus replied, "Feed my sheep.

John 21: 11 - 17

Jesus fed the disciples with fish and bread.  The night before His crucifixion Jesus gave the disciples bread and wine and established the memorial feast that we call "Communion."  But this time the meal is only remembered when a Bible teacher decides to talk about it or we run across these verses in our regular Bible reading.

But the lesson of these verses should impact your walk with Jesus every day!  Jesus feeds you and He expects you to feed others!  That is the essence of what Jesus told His disciples in this early morning encounter.  

My mother was known for wanting to "feed" everyone who entered our house. When I was in high school my friends all knew that coming over to my house meant they would get something to eat!

When you meet a brother or a sister in the Lord today you should ask yourself this question: Is there anything I have that I can give him or her that would strengthen their walk with Jesus?  That would indeed be taking care of and feeding the sheep of Jesus!

"Lord Jesus, open my eyes today to the needs of my brothers and sisters and show me what I have that will strengthen them in their walk with You.  Praise Your Holy Name now and forever.  Amen."



No comments:

Post a Comment