Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Glory Burst of Power!




Judas had promised to betray Jesus. So he went to the garden with some Roman soldiers and temple police, who had been sent by the chief priests and the Pharisees. They carried torches, lanterns, and weapons. Jesus already knew everything that was going to happen, but he asked, "Who are you looking for?" They answered, "We are looking for Jesus from Nazareth!" Jesus told them, "I am Jesus!"  At once they all backed away and fell to the ground.  Jesus again asked, "Who are you looking for?" "We are looking for Jesus from Nazareth," they answered.  This time Jesus replied, "I have already told you that I am Jesus. If I am the one you are looking for, let these others go.  Then everything will happen, just as I said, 'I did not lose anyone you gave me.' "  Simon Peter had brought along a sword. He now pulled it out and struck at the servant of the high priest. The servant's name was Malchus, and Peter cut off his right ear.  Jesus told Peter, "Put your sword away. I must drink from the cup that the Father has given me."

John 18: 3 - 11

Why did the first confession of Jesus cause even the soldiers who came to arrest Him to back up and fall to the ground?  The Bible does not state the reason, but it is clear that Jesus unleashed a small burst of His Almighty Power on the crowd that came to take Him into custody.  

Then Jesus asked them again who they were looking for and quietly allowed them to arrest Him.  Peter, however tried to stop them by cutting off the ear of the High Priest’s servant Malchus.  Then Jesus told Peter to put away the sword because this “Cup” was given to Him by the Father, not by angry men!

Perhaps it would be accurate to say that the Glory of God knocked the soldiers to the ground when Jesus acknowledged who He was, and the Love of Mankind motivated Jesus to surrender to those who would Crucify Him!  

The lesson for me is this: When the world comes to take me to a cross, it is very Christlike to let them feel the full power of God’s Glory.  But is also like Jesus to put away the sword and drink the cup of suffering that God has ordered for my life!  


“Lord Jesus, may Your Almighty Power be evident to those who would persecute me, but give me the strength to put away the sword and suffer as You did!  May Your Name be praised now and forever.  Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment