Sunday, June 17, 2018

Thank You for the Sugar!




After the stone had been rolled aside, Jesus looked up toward heaven and prayed, "Father, I thank you for answering my prayer.  I know that you always answer my prayers. But I said this, so that the people here would believe that you sent me."  When Jesus had finished praying, he shouted, "Lazarus, come out!"  The man who had been dead came out. His hands and feet were wrapped with strips of burial cloth, and a cloth covered his face. Jesus then told the people, "Untie him and let him go."  Many of the people who had come to visit Mary saw the things that Jesus did, and they put their faith in him.  Others went to the Pharisees and told what Jesus had done.  Then the chief priests and the Pharisees called the council together and said, "What should we do? This man is working a lot of miracles.  If we don't stop him now, everyone will put their faith in him.

John 11: 41 - 48a

Many years ago I was sitting at the dinner table across from my grandmother.  She looked at me and said, “Thank you for the sugar, Bill.”  It was a simple statement with a profound life implication.  I answered with the words, “Why do you thank me for the sugar before I give it to you?”  My wise and dear grandmother replied, “I thank you for it before you give it to me, because I know you will!”

That is the same reason Jesus thanked God for answering His prayer for the resurrection of Lazarus before it happened.  Jesus even went on to proclaim that the Father “always” answers His prayers.  

Do you thank God for answering your prayers before you bring your requests to Him?  Or do you approach the Throne of God wondering if the thing you desire from Him might, possibly be something that He would agree to answer with a positive response?  If that is how you pray, then consider the fact you are not praying like Jesus did!  Jesus knew the Father well enough to know how He would answer.  

When you pray according to the Will of God, you can know in advance that He will answer your prayer!  So, as you read the Bible, not only look for ways you can be obedient to that Word, but also search for the Truth about what God desires.  When you pray according to His desire, you can know for certain that He will answer your prayer!  


“Lord Jesus, teach me to pray as You did.  And I thank You Jesus for answering this prayer!  May Your Holy Name be praised now and forever.  Amen.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment