Monday, September 21, 2009

Conscientious Objector?


“Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.”

Colossians 3:5-6

When I was young I considered myself a “conscientious objector” when it came to war. I could not imagine a reason why I would take someone else’s life. But when I married and assumed the responsibility for protecting my wife from any attackers I became open to the possibility that there could be exceptions to my rule. Then with the birth of our first child I was completely converted into a “vicious warrior” when it came to protecting my little girl! Any enemy of my little girl was an enemy of mine and would suffer the consequences even if that meant they had to die in the process. It was quite a change in my heart.

Today there are many “spiritual conscientious objectors.” They cannot imagine a reason why they would kill anything that belongs to the earthly nature. They refuse to strike a fatal blow at sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Somehow they believe they can negotiate a peace treaty with these enemy combatants and be able to co-exist with them while living a life that is pleasing to Jesus.

Do you remember the story when King Saul disobeyed God’s instruction to kill all the Amalekites?

“Saul and the army spared Agag and the best of the sheep and cattle, the fat calves and lambs—everything that was good. These they were unwilling to destroy completely.” I Samuel 15:9

God was not pleased and Saul lost the throne.

Are you trying to spare the things that God has said to put to death? Are you afraid to kill the things that belong to your earthly nature? Killing the earthly nature takes place in your own heart. It is there you put an end to the enemy by putting it's forces to death.

When you take aim at your earthly nature be sure and “shoot to kill!”

No comments:

Post a Comment