Saturday, September 12, 2009

Moral Orbit!


"This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Disaster! An unheard-of disaster is coming. The end has come! The end has come! It has roused itself against you. It has come! Doom has come upon you—you who dwell in the land. The time has come, the day is near; there is panic, not joy, upon the mountains. I am about to pour out my wrath on you and spend my anger against you; I will judge you according to your conduct and repay you for all your detestable practices. I will not look on you with pity or spare you; I will repay you in accordance with your conduct and the detestable practices among you. Then you will know that it is I the LORD who strikes the blow."

Ezekiel 7:5-9

The most amazing experience for an astronaut in orbit must be weightlessness. Floating around and being able to “fly” from room to room is literally the stuff of dreams. With space flight we temporarily suspend the law of gravity by moving away from the earth and into orbit. The experience of “getting around” the law of gravity is by all reports great fun! I must confess I would love to do that myself. But there is a serious implication for all of us.

Humanity spends much of its time and energy attempting to suspend not the physical laws of God but rather the moral laws of God. We use technology to eliminate the consequences of sin and even provide educational programs to teach young people how to sin without any negative impact on their lives. We believe that getting around God’s moral laws is “the stuff of dreams.”

So like the astronauts we “float around” for a time untouched by moral law and think that we have defeated God at His own game! The only difference is that unlike astronauts who are able to land softly and safely after a space flight there is no soft landing after “going into moral orbit!”

No comments:

Post a Comment