Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Upholding Zion’s Cause!


For the LORD has a day of vengeance,
a year of retribution, to uphold Zion's cause.
Isaiah 34:8

It is hard for some Christians to believe that God would still fight for the Jewish people since they have, for the most part rejected Jesus. How can God not reject them since they have rejected His Son?

The answer to this question is easy for any parent who has ever been rejected by a child. Rejection is not countered with rejection. Words of denunciation are not responded to in kind. Instead there is pain and hope at the same time. Maybe someday this rebellious child will turn back to the parents who gave him life in the first place!

And so is God with Israel. The “forever” promises that God made to Abraham have not been erased from the Book! God’s faithfulness does not end when our faithlessness begins.

It is the same with God and me. When I accepted Jesus Christ I was “born again” into the family of God. As a child in God’s Kingdom I am both the object of His love and His responsibility to correct and train. When I become a “prodigal” God does not erase my name from His family. When I am rebellious I do not cease to be His son.

The sad truth for the people of Israel today is that there is no salvation outside of the Blood of Jesus. Rejecting the Son of God includes the choice to be eternally separated from the Father. But His love even for those on the road to destruction is not diminished.

Years ago I saw some graffiti on a wall that I have never forgotten. The words were simple and yet profound. They said this: “Christmas is the birthday of the oldest living Jew!” Jesus Himself was a Jew!

Remember the words of Isaiah 34:8. “For the LORD has a day of vengeance, a year of retribution, to uphold Zion's cause.” God is still concerned about and will uphold the cause of Jesus’ human family!

No comments:

Post a Comment