Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Deaf to God!


The Lord, the LORD Almighty,
called you on that day
to weep and to wail,
to tear out your hair and put on sackcloth.
But see, there is joy and revelry,
slaughtering of cattle and killing of sheep,
eating of meat and drinking of wine!
"Let us eat and drink," you say,
"for tomorrow we die!"

Isaiah 22:12-13

My father was deaf in one ear. It was a handicap, of sorts but a useful excuse when he didn’t want to hear what was being said. I have an undiagnosed level of hearing loss myself and so I can emulate my father in that area.

When the communication is negative and I don’t like its demand on my life I can simply choose not to hear and go on living the way I want.

Many followers of Jesus are deaf to the calling of God in their lives. They have serious intellectual discussions about “hearing the voice of God” and all the factors involved. It is a deep subject for those who choose not to hear. But for those who open their ears and hearts to the voice of the Lord it is simple. God speaks and I listen! Then I do what He says! The problem is not God’s inability to speak clearly to my life. It is not my lack of understanding of His Word. I simply choose to be deaf when it comes to the voice of God unless I hear Him speak of peace and joy and blessings! When He mentions those things and especially prosperity I perk up my ears and pay close attention until God begins again to speak of suffering.

Isaiah 22:12-13 speaks of God calling people to “weep and wail, tear out their hair and put on sackcloth.” But the people instead “Party” even though they see the destruction that is coming on them.

As the plane goes down the passengers pray instead of party. Only a fool celebrates when faced with certain calamity.

God is speaking today! Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment