Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Stayed Mind!


You will keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You.

Isaiah 26:3

There are times in life when your mind is captivated by a single thought. I suppose it begins as a small child when you learn that Christmas will soon be here. The last few weeks before school dismisses for the summer is also a time that distracts the minds of children from their studies.

When a young man “falls in love” a significant portion of his awareness is always turned toward the one he loves. It is difficult for him to focus on the weighty matters in life as he pursues the heart of a young woman.

As a follower of Jesus Christ the only way to remain peaceful in this world of chaos, despair and utter turmoil is to keep you mind “stayed” on Jesus Himself. Jesus said, “I will be with you, even to the end of the world,” so if you are His disciple the mountain you face in life is one that Jesus will take you over.

The peace that you receive by keeping your mind on Jesus is not a game. It is the peace that comes from knowing that the Creator of the universe is dwelling inside your body and is with you as you face whatever trial you are experiencing.

I recently went to see a rather high impact movie in 3D. The computer animation combined with the 3D experience made it seem as if I were actually there watching an extra terrestrial war. But because I knew that I was safely in the theater I never lost my peace at all. No matter how real it seemed I knew I was safe from harm.

In Jesus Christ, life itself is like sitting in that theater. I see everything going on in the world and indeed it is fearful to view, but I do not lose my perfect peace because I am safely “seated with Christ in heavenly places.”

As life goes on the anticipation grows because either He is coming soon, or I am going. Either way I will see Him face to face. So I can let my mind go to think about seeing Him. I can be distracted by and consumed with the anticipation of hearing the trumpet or being ushered in to His presence after I die. Let the storms and the threats rage and thunder but in the blink of an eye I will see the Salvation of the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment