Sunday, February 7, 2010

Feeling Not Fact!

As a deer longs for streams of water,
    so I long for You, God.

I thirst for God, the living God.
    When can I come and appear before God?

My tears have been my food day and night,
    while all day long people say to me,
    "Where is your God?"

I remember this as I pour out my heart:
    how I walked with many,
    leading the festive procession to the house of God,
    with joyful and thankful shouts.

Why am I so depressed?
    Why this turmoil within me?
    Put your hope in God, for I will still praise Him,
    my Savior and my God.

Psalm 42:1-5

This Psalm was written by the Son’s of Korah. The specifics of life that are referenced in Psalm 42 are not revealed. But the Psalm is a vivid revelation of the roller coaster of emotions for those who “long for” God!

Longing for God as a deer pants for water is a picture that has been beautifully depicted in songs and paintings as well as sermons over many years.

How can the one who longs for God also experience depression? The answer to that question is quite simple and yet truly profound. When you seek and pant for God, Satan will seek and pursue you! When you see Jesus through the cross-hairs of your life, Satan will aim his best resources at you as you become a primary target in the war.

Don’t become discouraged when you become depressed! Put your hope in God and praise Him! The fact that you come under attack is absolute confirmation that Christ in you is a threat to Satan.

If you are in Christ and Christ is in you, then Satan may be able to take your life, but he cannot take your hope! Don’t forget that depression is a feeling, not a fact!

No comments:

Post a Comment