Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ultimate Secret to Happiness!

Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior.

Habakkuk 3:17-18

Have you ever tried to make a deal with God? The movies are salted and peppered with people who make promises to God. “If you will save me from this storm, get me home safely from this war, or keep my child from dying, then I will serve You and do the thing that I know You want me to do anyway.” It reminds me of the Don Knotts character, Barney Fife. Barney was the sheriff’s deputy who was always making bold statements and demands while everyone knew that Barney was too weak to back up his words. Attempting to negotiate with God is like trying to talk the sun into coming up this morning. We are like a flea trying to reason with the dog!

Remember the story about Abraham negotiating with God about the fate of Sodom. The amount of righteous people necessary to save Sodom dropped all the way to ten when the negotiations ended. Why did Abraham not seal the deal by trusting in the righteousness of Lot and ask God to save the city for the sake of one righteous man? If the heart of the king is in the hand of the Lord, then so was the heart of Abraham. In spite of the circumstances Abraham ultimately desired God’s will.

Truthfully, I can’t ever remember consciously trying to bargain with God. But I think we all do it every day. When I am tempted to do something contrary to God’s will then I enter in to a moment of negotiation with God. Questions flood my mind and heart.

“Do you really want me to do this thing?”

“Is this essential for my walk with You?”

“What will happen to me if I don’t obey?”

Before you start feeling really guilty about asking such questions don’t forget that Jesus asked God to remove the cup that God wanted Him to drink. It is not sin to ask God. The sin comes when I want my will to rule over God’s will. That was the original position of Satan and of Adam and Eve.

These verses in Habakkuk give us the ultimate secret to happiness. It is this: When everything around you fails you can still, and you must rejoice in the LORD, and be joyful in God!

No comments:

Post a Comment