Saturday, February 13, 2010

Spiritual Chicken Soup!

They all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from a spiritual rock that followed them, and that rock was Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:3-4

When my oldest daughter Lori was in Junior High she came home with a joke that began, “My Pa’s chubby, my Ma’s chubby and I’m chubby too!” The joke wasn’t very memorable but I can never forget Lori pushing on her cheeks so her lips would pucker as she told the joke! Truthfully, we do learn to eat from our parents. The kind and amount of food we eat largely determines whether or not we carry extra weight. If you eat with and eat like a “fat” person it is almost certain that you too will become “fat.”

Many years ago I lived in Indonesia. One day when I was talking with my landlord he declared without any embarrassment or hesitation, “My you are getting fat!” It was a compliment. In a country where it was an accomplishment to get enough food to stay alive, getting fat was a good thing!

Are you a spiritual anorexic? Do you eat just enough spiritual food to stay alive and keep you going from one week to the next? Do you nibble on God’s Word or do you ever go to God’s “all you can eat” buffet?

Right now I am getting over a virus that has completely taken away my appetite. For that past two days I have eaten almost nothing and the thought of food is not appealing. All it took was a fairly significant bout of nausea and my brain says “No more food for me!” Satan wants to give you spiritual nausea and take away your appetite for the things of God! When he does you easily say “No more food for me!”

If your spiritual appetite is gone ask Jesus to restore it. It is just one part of the struggle that goes on with appetites. In the spiritual war, our Godly appetites are stolen and we develop ungodly appetites. Restoring your physical appetite after a bout of virus takes a while. You don’t start out with a steak dinner. If you have lost your spiritual appetite, start on the road to recovery with a bowl of Spiritual chicken soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment