Thursday, December 19, 2013

Duck Die Nasty

Click here to listen to blog

Don't you know that evil people won't have a share in the blessings of God's kingdom? Don't fool yourselves! No one who is immoral or worships idols or is unfaithful in marriage or is a pervert or behaves like a homosexual will share in God's kingdom. Neither will any thief or greedy person or drunkard or anyone who curses and cheats others. Some of you used to be like that. But now the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and the power of God's Spirit have washed you and made you holy and acceptable to God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Long beards are becoming popular in the United States because of the most popular cable television show in history. Duck Dynasty has grabbed the attention of millions of Americans and I am sure many around the world as Phil Robertson and his family display a previously unheard of mix of faith, family and funny Louisiana backwoods behavior along with new found riches from making and selling duck calls!


Now Robertson has been indefinitely suspended from the show because of plain spoken "offensive" comments about homosexuality.


Part of Robertson's response to the criticism included this comment: "My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."


The very refreshing and bold honesty of Phil Robertson on the show is quite obviously not an "actor playing a role." The American audience give's the show the best ratings ever when they are not the ones offended. But when the offense is directed at the powerful lobby based on sexual orientation Mr. Robertson must be silenced!


The lesson for me is not that I must judge Phil Robertson right or wrong in what he said. But I must ask myself if I am willing to throw everything to the wind in order to speak what I believe is the Word of God? Robertson reminds me of one of the Old Testament prophets who paid no attention to what people thought about their words. They were only concerned that the words they spoke came from God.

"Lord Jesus give me the courage today to speak Your Word no matter what others may think. Your opinion Lord Jesus is the only opinion that matters. And may Your Name be praised forever! Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment