Sunday, December 1, 2013

Jesus Spoke the Word!

Click here to listen to blog

The Pharisees and the teachers of the Law of Moses brought in a woman who had been caught in bed with a man who wasn't her husband. They made her stand in the middle of the crowd. Then they said, “Teacher, this woman was caught sleeping with a man who isn't her husband.

The Law of Moses teaches that a woman like this should be stoned to death! What do you say?”

They asked Jesus this question, because they wanted to test him and bring some charge against him. But Jesus simply bent over and started writing on the ground with his finger.

John 8:3-6

I think it is amazing that no one has ever tried to quote something that Jesus wrote. Even when Jesus bent over and wrote on the ground with His finger no one has reported what He wrote. There has been lots of speculation, but of course that is all it is. We simply do not know anything that Jesus ever wrote. I am certain that His lack of writing is not an accident.


There are of course many words that we know Jesus spoke. Just open and browse through a Red Letter Bible and you will see the words of Jesus jumping off of the page. Not even one of the Red Letter words came from something Jesus wrote.


Does that mean that the Written Word of God is not important? Of course not! I think it means that even a man or woman who cannot read or write can live a life that is just like Jesus! The Bible also says that faith comes by hearing. Which would you rather have, a letter that says "I love you," or the person who loves you standing next to you and whispering "I love you" in your ear while holding your hand?

 
Some have said that the Bible is a "Love Letter from God." And indeed it is, but there is more. When the Holy Spirit comes into your heart and lives in you, He speaks the love of God and touches the very core of your being.


My challenge for today is this: even as I read the written Word of God I must listen for His voice. The question is not "what did Jesus say," but rather "what is Jesus saying" to me today!


"Lord Jesus, open my ears and my heart that I may hear what You are saying to me today. As I read the Bible help me understand what You are speaking to my heart. And Lord, give me the courage to obey Your Word today. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment