Saturday, April 15, 2017

Not Just What I Want!




Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.   And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4: 6 - 7

When my second son, Mark was a small boy he asked me, I think it is more accurate to say that he begged me to help him build a hovercraft.  He wanted to fly just a few inches off of the ground.  I’m sure it seemed perfectly reasonable to him that his father could build such a thing.  I know he was disappointed that I could not grant his request, but building any type of flying machine was beyond what I was able to do.  

I suppose I shouldn’t feel too bad about it because even though Mark ultimately became an airplane mechanic, he still has not built his hovercraft.

Here is the difference between a human father and our Father in Heaven.  You cannot imagine or ask for something that is beyond the ability of God!  So if you ask God for a “hovercraft” and He doesn’t give it to you, it is not because, like me He is not able to build one.

When God does not give you what you ask for it is because He has your greater good in mind! Just like every child, sometimes you ask God for something that He knows would bring you suffering and harm, and He refuses your request!   

So, don’t be sad that God has not given you what you ask for!  Instead, be at peace knowing that the God who can do anything has considered your request and denied it for your own good! 


“Lord Jesus, thank You for giving me the Peace of knowing that You will give me what I need and not just what I want.  May Your Name be praised forever.  Amen.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment