Friday, April 20, 2012

What is Worry?

Listen to this blog.

 

I tell you not to worry about your life. Don't worry about having something to eat, drink, or wear. Isn't life more than food or clothing?

Look at the birds in the sky! They don't plant or harvest. They don't even store grain in barns. Yet your Father in heaven takes care of them. Aren't you worth much more than birds?

Can worry make you live longer?  Why worry about clothes? Look how the wild flowers grow. They don't work hard to make their clothes.  But I tell you that Solomon with all his wealth wasn't as well clothed as one of them.

God gives such beauty to everything that grows in the fields, even though it is here today and thrown into a fire tomorrow. God will surely do even more for you! Why do you have such little faith?

Don't worry and ask yourselves, “Will we have anything to eat? Will we have anything to drink? Will we have any clothes to wear?”  Only people who don't know God are always worrying about such things. Your Father in heaven knows you need all of these.

Matthew 6:25-32

Worry is what you do when you lie awake in bed at night and cannot sleep. Sleeping is an act of trust. When you are asleep you are not in control of the things around you and you are very vulnerable to any threat. Worrying will keep you awake and rob you of the peaceful sleep your body so desperately needs.

I still remember hearing the voices of my parents while I was going to sleep as a small child. It was such a comfort to know that they were awake and that I was safe and could put away all my worries and go to sleep.

In this world filled with trouble of all kinds there are plenty of reasons to worry, if you do not trust God. When it is time for you to rest in God and be refreshed Satan will try to "keep you awake" with worry. You will go over and over in your mind what you could have done differently and you will think about the bad things that may happen.

"Lord, let me hear Your voice so that I may not worry as I rest in You. It really doesn't matter what I hear You saying, as long as I am hearing Words that come from Your mouth. So Lord, every time I am tempted to worry I will listen for Your voice and then rest in You! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment