Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Whisper from Jesus!

Click here to listen to blog

God gives peace, and he raised our Lord Jesus Christ from death. Now Jesus is like a Great Shepherd whose blood was used to make God's eternal agreement with his flock. I pray God will make you ready to obey him and that you will always be eager to do right. May Jesus help you do what pleases God. To Jesus Christ be glory forever and ever! Amen.

My friends, I have written only a short letter to encourage you, and I beg you to pay close attention to what I have said.

By now you surely must know that our friend Timothy is out of jail. If he gets here in time, I will bring him with me when I come to visit you.

Hebrews 13:20-23

Why did so many of the early Christian leaders spend time in jail? It was not because they were suffering for their sins. And really it was not because they were simply targeted by the government because of their faith. Jail time for Christians comes because life as a follower of Jesus Christ often finds itself at odds with the culture. Regulations about where you can and cannot proclaim the message of Jesus must be ignored. Rules about where you can or cannot pray have to be broken. And of course Christians will not fall down and worship anyone except Jesus Christ!

Of course you must obey the laws of your land. But if Jesus tells you to do something that causes you to break a law, then you must break it and trust Jesus to be with you no matter what the consequences. That is why it is so very important that you practice listening to the voice of Jesus. If you think "maybe, it might be Jesus" calling you to do something with great consequence, it won't be long until you question the wisdom of what you have done! It is only when you know His voice with certainty that you can courageously step out of the boat and walk on water like Peter did.

Small children and members of the military learn that when their mother or commanding officer gives an order it is to be obeyed without question! There is no praise for a soldier who refuses to obey because he doesn't understand why the order was given. Understanding may be wonderful, but obedience is better.

So my job today is not to understand theology, but rather to hear the voice of Jesus and obey. Will I understand more and more about what God is doing in the world? Of course I will! But my first responsibility is to obey the Lord even if I go to jail as a consequence!

"Lord Jesus, I do want to know more, but I also want to obey more. Help me to clearly hear Your voice today so I can walk in obedience even to a whisper from You! And may You be praised forever. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment