Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Simple and Complex

Click here to listen to blog

The Lord's angel said to Philip, “Go south along the desert road that leads from Jerusalem to Gaza.”  So Philip left.

An important Ethiopian official happened to be going along that road in his chariot. He was the chief treasurer for Candace, the Queen of Ethiopia. The official had gone to Jerusalem to worship was now on his way home. He was sitting in his chariot, reading the book of the prophet Isaiah.

The Spirit told Philip to catch up with the chariot. Philip ran up close and heard the man reading aloud from the book of Isaiah. Philip asked him, “Do you understand what you are reading?”

The official answered, “How can I understand unless someone helps me?” He then invited Philip to come up and sit beside him.

Acts 8:26-31

Do you understand the things you read in the Bible?  You may say, "Well of course I do, I learned to read when I was a child and if I don't know a word I can look it up in a dictionary. So I can certainly understand the Bible!"  

Many years ago I lived in Indonesia for a time.  I studied the language and learned quite a few simple words and their meanings.  But I was frequently frustrated because a complex concept would be expressed using several simple words, all of which I knew their meanings, but I had no idea what was being said.  I'm sure that when you learn a new language, no matter what it is, you will encounter a similar problem.

Jesus mostly taught using simple stories.  Even a child can learn the stories that Jesus told the people who would listen to Him.  And just like learning a new language you must learn the simple stories before you can step into the amazingly complex teachings that emerge as the Holy Spirit explains them to you like Phillip did for the
Ethiopian.

When I want to go deep into the Word of God I need someone to explain the Scriptures to me, even as the Official from Ethiopia did.  If I am not already a follower of Jesus, the Holy Spirit will send a Phillip to help me understand the Good News of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.  If I am already a believer the Holy Spirit, in me will bring the understanding that I need!  It is an amazing part of following Jesus.

"Lord Jesus, Your words are so simple and yet the depth of what You say is beyond measuring.  Show me more today of what You are speaking to me, even from the simplest Words of Scripture.  And Lord, help me to be willing to obey!  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment