Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Obedience Instead of Love?


Click here to listen to blog 
I know everything you have done, including your hard work and how you have endured. I know you won't put up with anyone who is evil. When some people pretended to be apostles, you tested them and found out they were liars.   You have endured and gone through hard times because of me, yet you have not given up.   But I do have something against you! And it is this: You don't have as much love as you used to.   Think about where you have fallen from, and then turn back and do as you did at first. If you don't turn back, I will come and take away your lampstand.

Revelation 2:2-5

These words of Jesus are recorded in the Book of Revelation and were specifically spoken to Christians in the city of Ephesus.  They rated high on hard work, endurance, not putting up with evil, and even testing those who claimed to be apostles but were not.  They also had not given up even though they had gone through hard times!  But then there are these words of rebuke!

YOU DON'T HAVE AS MUCH LOVE AS YOU USED TO!

Jesus then tells them that if they don't turn back to the love that they had "at first" He will come and "take away" their lampstand!  I suppose we could debate about exactly what does it mean to take away your lampstand, but why not rather spend your energy and time in reclaiming the love you had when you first met Jesus! 

Yes, the Lord wants you to obey the Words of Scripture, but obedience without love is really of no value!  Jesus wants you to obey Him because you love Him, not obey Him instead of loving Him! 

"Lord Jesus, give me more love for You today.  May my obedience and diligence flow out of my growing love for You so that my lamp will continue to spread Your light to everyone around me.  And may You be praised forever.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment