Sunday, July 5, 2009

Jesus Covers for Me!

Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, And sinners shall be converted to You.

Psalm 51:10-13

David’s sin was a combination of lust, adultery and then murder. It was awful. How a “man after God’s own heart” walked down that path is difficult to imagine, or is it? David like Adam and Eve before him listened to the “it’s not that big of a deal” statement from Satan. I mean what’s the harm in just looking? Actually it was not the looking, but the lingering look that was step one on the road to David’s sin.

David started walking down the road by listening to his own desires and not the Word of God.

Have you ever heard Satan say “it’s not a big deal?” I think that is his best enticement. He loves to say those words when you are confronted with the “forbidden fruit” in your life. The argument is the same whether you are embezzling fifty billion dollars or eating one donut you have committed not to eat. For a brief moment you put aside what you know to be true and right and step into the arena of rebellion by taking one bite out of the “apple.”

When a man realizes his sin the next step he usually takes is to cover up the sin. Adam and Eve tried to cover themselves. David tried to get Uriah to come home and sleep with Bathsheba so no one would know that the baby she was carrying was David’s. The “cover up” usually doesn’t work. It might work with other men, but hiding your sin from God is in the realm of the impossible. I cannot hide my sin from God. He sees my sin in all it’s ugliness.

Here’s where the Good News comes in. I cannot hide my sin from God. I cannot cover my sin, but Jesus can. And when I come to Jesus that is exactly what He does. Jesus covers my sin with His own blood!

Then He goes on to create a clean heart in me and renews a steadfast spirit in me. He keeps me in His presence and does not take His Holy Spirit away from me. Finally, He restores the joy of the salvation He has provided for me! Then I am free to speak His love to transgressors and sinners!

The next time you hear Satan say “It’s no big deal” do as Jesus did and say “Get behind Me Satan.”



No comments:

Post a Comment