Saturday, July 4, 2009

Look at the Bottom!

"I went there and saw the potter making clay pots on his pottery wheel. And whenever the clay would not take the shape he wanted, he would change his mind and form it into some other shape."

Jeremiah 18:3-4

The image is clear. God is the potter and we are the clay. There is no pot in all the world that ever made itself. Every clay pot yielded to the hand of the potter.

The question in my life is simple. Will I yield to the hand of the Potter today or will I choose not to take the shape He wants.

This may be much of an over simplification but after living more than half a century it seems the only choice any man has is to accept or reject God.

Every other "choice" is full of vested interests, physical desires, emotional fulfillments and a thousand other forces influencing our decision. But to accept or reject God is simple.

Recently, I read a sermon in which it was said that we should go back to God's original calling on our lives. And certainly there is truth to that statement, but there is more.

If I refuse to be made into one shape by the hand of God, Jeremiah says He will choose to mold me into another shape.

If you want to know who made a pot of clay you can usually look on the bottom of the pot and find the potter's name. Look at your heart and see if the name of the Potter is written on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment