Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Purpose of Work!

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat. And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right.

2 Thessalonians 3:10-13

If you were reared in a “pick yourself up by your own bootstraps” culture and were taught the “Protestant work ethic” then you know how revolutionary it was to find out that my work has nothing to do with my salvation. I cannot earn my salvation. It is a gift and it depends on the mercy and grace of God, not on my effort.

The problem is that many of us decided that if my work was not the basis of my salvation then I might as well not work at all! Brother, did that miss the mark. My work may not be why I am saved, but it is the way God teaches, trains, and yes provides for my needs here on this earth. According to the Apostle Paul in 2 Thessalonians 3 my work may not provide salvation but it does provide food to eat. In fact, he specifically says that a follower of Jesus who will not work should not be allowed to eat! Those are pretty strong words. What about compassion? Aren’t we supposed to feed the hungry?

Imagine a farmer with a son who refuses to go to the field with his father because working is not the basis of his inheritance. He might say, “Father I am so glad that I am your son and that I don’t need to work to earn the position of being your child. So I will just spend my time enjoying myself and never work with you or for you.”

That son would be in for a rude awakening. And yet many say to God by their actions, “Father I am so glad that I am Your child and that I don’t need to work to earn the position of being Your child. So I will just spend my time enjoying Your blessings and never work with You or for You.”

“Today Lord, show me the works that You have prepared for me. Let me labor with You and for You because I am Your child!”

No comments:

Post a Comment