Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Rich People

 

Click here to listen to blog

Warn the rich people of this world not to be proud or to trust in wealth that is easily lost. Tell them to have faith in God, who is rich and blesses us with everything we need to enjoy life. Instruct them to do as many good deeds as they can and to help everyone. Remind the rich to be generous and share what they have. This will lay a solid foundation for the future, so they will know what true life is like.

1 Timothy 6:17-19

The wealth of this world can be easily lost. You may know that right now the US stock market is at an all time high. That makes many people feel like they are very wealthy. But one really bad session and those "rich" people can lose it all. It has happened before and everyone knows it can happen again.

These verses tell rich people not to trust in their wealth, but rather to have faith in God. A very good friend of mine was rich and then lost it all. In fact he lost it more than once. He would lose his wealth and then work to get it back. Although it is not popular to say, but some rich people work hard to become rich and they often do it more than once. But now my rich friend is richer than he ever was when he only had money. I have watched him over the years turn his heart from money to God. It has been an amazing transformation as he has come to know what true life is like!

And if my friend happens to be reading this I would warn him against the temptation of pride.

So here are three things that rich people should do: Have faith in God, do as many good deeds as you can to help others, and be generous and share what you have. Those three things will lay a solid foundation for the future.

And if you are not rich, I would warn you not to envy followers of Jesus who are rich. A very wealthy believer once told me that having lots of money must be seen as an awesome responsibility rather than a blessing.

"Lord Jesus, I thank you that I am rich, not in this worlds goods, but rich because I know You. My Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills and I am His child. Help me today to seek You and not the wealth of this world! Come quickly Lord Jesus. Amen."

PERSONAL NOTE: I want to remind you that I am putting together a companion website for this blog.  It is at www.billsteensland.com.  And I really appreciate responses you make to these blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment